We understand that switching your bank accounts may seem complex. That is why we are here to help you every step of the way. We have helped many of our customers make a quick and easy switch of their bank accounts to The Dime Bank and we are happy to assist you with yours. Below are some steps to begin the process. It's as easy as 1-2-3!
Step 1 - open the dime bank account
step 2 - switch your direct deposit
Reach out to your payroll department or your retirement provider, either in person, in writing, or via phone, to let them know that you would like to switch your direct deposit from your current account at another financial institution to your account at The Dime Bank. You will need to provide your employer or retirement provider with your new Dime Bank account number and The Dime Bank routing number 031308551. You may also need to confirm your social security number and your employee ID number, so have that information handy.
- Social Security (SSA) & Supplemental Security Income (SSI) - 1-800-772-1213
- Railroad Retirement - 1-877-772-5772
- Civil Service Retirement (Office of Personal Management) - 1-888-767-6738
- Veterans Compensation and Pension - 1-877-838-2778
step 3 - switch your automatic withdrawals
Make a list of your current automatic payments currently being deducted from your old account such as subscriptions, memberships, automatic bill payments, etc. Contact those companies and creditors to stop making withdrawals from your old account and instead make them from your new Dime Bank account. You will need to provide those companies with your new Dime Bank account number and The Dime Bank routing number 031308551.
If you provided your old account information to any of your service providers, such as your credit cards, cable company, cell phone carrier, you need to contact those service providers as well to update your information to your new Dime Bank account. Some companies may notify you when a payment fails, but others may not.
step 4 - switch your automatic credits/deposits
Make a list of any current automatic credits currently being deposited to your old account such as pensions, dividend payments, etc. Contact those companies to stop making automatic deposits to your old account and instead make them to your new Dime Bank account. You will need to provide your new Dime Bank account number and The Dime Bank routing number 031308551.
step 5 - close your old account
We recommend that you keep enough money in your old account to avoid any minimum-balance fees and to cover any automatic payments or checks that haven’t cleared yet.
Once you are confident that all your automatic transactions and any written checks have cleared from your old account, you can close that account. Make sure to:
- Request any remaining balance to be sent to you via check or if you are closing your accounts in person, you can request cash.
- Request written document confirming that your old account has been closed.
- Destroy old checks and debit cards.
step 6 - enjoy your new dime bank account
- Make sure that all your automatic payments and credits have transferred to your new Dime Bank account by carefully reviewing your monthly statements.
- Take advantage of our personal Online & Mobile Banking services and Business Services
- Reach out to your knowledgeable Dime Bank staff with any questions.
If you need assistance, we are here to help. Call or visit The Dime Bank branch near you.
Open an Account
In Person & Online.
We offer innovative online and mobile banking services to make managing your money easy along with the personal attention of employees who care about you.